Eggs Laid by Tigers

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

 

Forefathers; court houses; barbeque


Beautiful, beautiful Texas
Where the beautiful bluebonnets grow,
The land of our forefathers
Who died at the Alamo.
You may live on the plains or the mountains
Or down where the seabreezes blow.
But you'll still be in beautiful Texas
The most beautiful place that I know"
A dear friend and vigorous Texan recently sent the the words to this song, which we used to sing in school, without a thought what "forefathers" might mean.

But I wonder, Whose forefathers? Mine were somewhere in South Carolina or Mississippi. I suppose others were in Arkansas. Many of my classmates no doubt thought of their forefathers as coming from Mexico, since most of my classmates recently were from Mexico; and the Alamo would have a very different meaning for them, if any thought of the meaning of the words. I wonder if any did.

I wonder if the song is still sung. Perhaps time or political correctness has eroded its popularity.

"forefather": a member of one's family or people.

P.s., while looking up Texas militias, I ran across this wonderful pic of the courthouse in Denton:


It reminds me of the courthouse in Gonzales,

on the road from Austin to Raymondville just before a tin shack that sat on the side on the road. That tin shack had the best barbecue ever known to mankind. It still lies on my tongue, 60 years later.

I would ride that road and eat that barbecue again, under a sun that is young once only. I tear a little.

Silly old man.


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

January 2009   February 2009   March 2009   April 2009   May 2009   June 2009   July 2009   August 2009   September 2009   October 2009   December 2009   January 2010   April 2010   October 2012  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]