Eggs Laid by Tigers

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

 

". . . save this damn profession of writing . . . .


In response to my last post on Chitral, one correspondent wrote:

I think that you are infatuated with Chitralian polo players for a reason which I cannot comprehend nor resolve. 
That said, if I were Bin Ladin I would not be in a cave but rather steath my way into SArabia and live like a queen, err king.
Hem ust realize at some point that caves have nothing on Dubai... and live is imminently short.
Another wrote:

Hi You, I'm more obsessed with those gorgeous African American young men who are playing NCAA basketball than Cintrali polo players. And the best thing is that they don't know where Osama Bin Laden is and they're also not quite sure where Afghanistan is or what it is.
I am covered with rue.  Obviously I have ignored our friends the Uighurs and Bolivians and focased too much on the most dangerous place on earth at this moment:  Chitral and similar communities in Pushtunistan.  To be clear, I don't give a fig about ben Laden.  It interests me to see how the good folds in Chitral respond to s New York newspaper report on him.  See today's Washington Post about dangerous folks.

But perhaps I haven't given you a good enough sense of what life is like in Pushtunistan.  Here, from the reliable Citral News, is a report of a development conference, held in Ssaeeret, for Chitral.  A number of Chitral citizens attended.

The goo hews is that I cannot imagine that anything at all could come from such a conference.  As an intellectual exercise, try in your mind to substitute Christian words for Muslim ones.  We used to go to Harlingen to hear Christian revival meetings that made just as much sense.

Even more interesting is this:  I tried to substitute words that were uses at a legal aid conference in San Francisco some years back deigned to teach us (we who were civil rights lawyers without the slightest interest in anything so mundane as business) how to start laundromat businesses in ghettos.  I went to sleep, as I assume most of the good people from Chitral did.

So, the Talibs are a bunch of idiots, nut
They'll stone ya when you're at the breakfast table.
They'll stone ya when you are young and able.
They'll stone ya when you're tryin' to make a buck.
They'll stone ya and then they'll say, "good luck."
See eye surgeon this week.  In a month or three I'll be able to branch out to more subjects.  In the meantime,may you  be as contented in your work as this technician, repairing old typewriters in Chitral, seems to be.  How like my grandfather's law office in Yokum, Texas, this shop seems to me!


[For nostalgic former Texans only:  I asked hoogle to show me pictures of Yoakum.  It showed me this:

O to be in Yoakum,
Now that Spring is here . . . .]




Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

January 2009   February 2009   March 2009   April 2009   May 2009   June 2009   July 2009   August 2009   September 2009   October 2009   December 2009   January 2010   April 2010   October 2012  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]